Early Career Teacher
Below is a form which induction tutors can use to complete Formal Assessments of Early Career Teachers (ECTs) during or at the end of their statutory induction (terms 3 and 6). This form will be submitted electronically via our ECT portal if using The Golden Thread TSH as your Appropriate Body. Further guidance is available on GOV.UK.
Form handling advice
- This form is for the member of staff assigned as the induction tutor for an ECT to complete, as well as the ECT and the headteacher
- A summary of the evidence considered in reviewing the ECT’s progress and how it supports the assessment is sufficient. There is no need to reproduce all the evidence in detail. The appropriate body may request to see copies of relevant evidence if required and this can be attached to the assessment via our ECT portal.
- A copy of the completed report should be sent to the appropriate body shortly after the assessment, within 10 working days if this is the final assessment – this is done electronically via our ECT portal.
Personal details and induction details
|Full name of Early
Career Teacher (ECT)
|ECT Teacher Reference Number (TRN)
|ECT date of birth
|Induction tutor name and role
|Mentor name and role
|Assessment period start date
|Assessment period end date
|Term 1 / 2 / 4 / 5 / Other?
|Is the ECT full-time or part-time? (Give the FTE if PT)
|FT / PT
|Days absent in this assessment period
|Nameof appropriate body receiving this report
Assessment period details
1. Which period of the ECT’s induction does this formal assessment cover? (Select one of the below)
End of first assessment period
End of second or final assessment period
Interim assessment i.e. the ECT is due to complete induction at another establishment
If the ECT is due to complete induction at another establishment, please also provide the leaving date (if known) and details of the establishment where the ECT will continue induction.
2. If this is a final assessment, how many days has the induction period been reduced by (if any)? Any reductions to the induction period require prior agreement with the appropriate body
3. Based on the teacher’s performance against the Teachers’
Standards within the assessment period, which one of the following statements is applicable?
The above-named teacher’s performance indicates that they are making satisfactory progress against the Teachers’ Standards within the induction period
This is the above-named teacher’s final assessment period and their performance indicates that they have successfully met the Teachers’ Standards within the induction period
The above-named teacher’s performance indicates that they are not making satisfactory progress against the Teachers’ Standards for the satisfactory completion of the induction period
3. Briefly describe how any evidence demonstrates progress made towards meeting the Teachers’ Standards. Do not reproduce evidence in full. The Teachers’ Standards are available here:
TS1 Set high expectations which inspire, motivate and challenge pupils
TS2 Promote good progress and outcomes by pupils
TS3 Demonstrate good subject and curriculum knowledge
TS4 Plan and teach well-structured lessons
TS5 Adapt teaching to respond to the strengths and needs of all pupils
TS6 Make accurate and productive use of assessment
TS7 Manage behaviour effectively to ensure a good and safe learning environment
TS8 Fulfil wider professional responsibilities
Personal and professional conduct
Briefly describe any areas for development. Even if this is the ECT’s final assessment during induction and they have successfully demonstrated having met the Teachers’ Standards, it can still be useful for the ECT’s continued development to complete this section.
5. If the ECT is not on track to successfully complete induction, has a support plan been put in place? (If yes, please attach the support plan)
6. If the ECT is not on track to successfully complete induction, is an extension to the induction period required?
If yes, please include details of the length of extension being recommended
7. If the ECT is due to continue with induction, is the ECT expected to remain at this school for the duration of the next assessment period?
If ‘No’ and the ECT is due to complete induction at another establishment, please also provide the leaving date (if known) and details of the establishment where the ECT will continue induction.
9.Has the ECT discussed this report with the induction tutor and/or headteacher?
Yes / No
10. ECT’s comments on this report and/or their performance in the assessment period
11. ECT’s confirmation that they have continued to access a programme of support based on the Early Career Framework and received all of their statutory entitlements?
If no, please explain why an ECF-based induction has not been accessed or what statutory entitlements have not been met
Section 3 – Signatures
Induction tutor. This progress review was completed by:
Early Career Teacher.
This completed assessment form should be sent to the appropriate body within ten working days of the relevant assessment meeting, with copies retained by the ECT and the school.
Guidance for early career teachers’ induction is available on GOV.UK